Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What Is Richard Dawkins' Favorite Christmas Carol?

From the BBC:

Prof Dawkins, who has frequently spoken out against creationism and religious fundamentalism, replied: "I'm not one of those who wants to stop Christian traditions.

"This is historically a Christian country. I'm a cultural Christian in the same way many of my friends call themselves cultural Jews or cultural Muslims.

"So, yes, I like singing carols along with everybody else. I'm not one of those who wants to purge our society of our Christian history.


But shouldn't he clarify that singing Christmas carols with your children is child abuse? Is he talking about "Jingle Bells"? The "Batman smells, Robin laid an egg" version? I am trying to picture Richard Dawkins standing outside my door with scarf and ear muffs heartily singing "Joy to the World." My head is spinning.

3 Comments:

At December 24, 2007 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.
.
.
.
Considering Richard's affinity for eugenics and his attitude towards Jews, I'd say his favorite was "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas".

 
At December 30, 2007 12:22 PM, Blogger IlĂ­on said...

Wasn't "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" written by a Jewish man?

Oy vey!

 
At January 02, 2008 9:03 PM, Blogger Jim Sherwood said...

If Dawkins had asked me, I'd have written a carol for him to sing. Here's a provisional song for his next Christmas:

Evolving in the snow,
In selection's brutal ways,
Oh what fun it is to sing
A chant in Darwin's praise!

Jingle bells, selection's hell's
Created all that's new,
Oh what fun it is to spout
Our dogma's bloody view!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home