Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Compendium of Links

Here are links to other blogs that deal with the issues of evolution and intelligent design either from a position of skepticism toward macroevolutionary theory or open-mindedness toward intelligent design, or both. More comments are at the bottom of this post. Feel free to link to this or bookmark this. I created it for use as a starting page for browsing on this topic. The link to just this post is here.

Group blogs with very frequent posts
:
Evolution News & Views (Discovery Institute)
Uncommon Descent (William Dembski, Denyse O'Leary and others)
Telic Thoughts (Mike Gene, Krauze, and others)
Intelligent Design the Future (Discovery Institute)

Individual blogs
Post-Darwinist (Denyse O'Leary)
Darwinian Fundamentalism (Lawrence Selden)
ID in the UK (Andrew Rowell)
CreationEvolutionDesign (Stephen Jones)
ID.Plus (Peter S. Williams)
The Design Paradigm (Cornell IDEA club)
Teleological Blog (Salvador Cordova and others)
Intelligently Sequenced (William Bradford)

Mixed topic blogs
Wittingshire (Jonathan and Amanda Witt)
He Lives (David Heddle)
Thinking Christian (Tom Gilson)
Exiled From Groggs
Real Physics (Lawrence Gage)

Other individual blogs
I'm From Missouri (Larry Fafarman)
Doubting Darwin (Samuel Chen)
Baraminology Blog (Crevo)

Other mixed topic blogs
Physics Geek Jesus Freak
Scrappleface (Scott Ott)

Other Languages
ProgettoCosmo (Italian)
Pos-Darwinista (Brazilian)


*************************************************

I have attempted to include all the Darwinism related blog links from the following blogs: Telic Thoughts, Uncommon Descent, Post-Darwinist, Darwinian Fundamentalism and Wittingshire.

This post is a work in progress and will certainly be revised and updated. Please post a comment if you think that I have left out any significant blogs.

I hope to do another post with the most helpful links to web sites (not blogs).

I have ordered them in a rough attempt at ranking their level of popularity and relevance, based on objective (links by others) and subjective (my humble opinion) criteria.

Happy reading!

3 Comments:

At September 13, 2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Lawrence,

Thanks for listing my blog, "I'm from Missouri." BTW, my last name is spelled Fafarman, not Farfarman. My link list of course includes your blog.

I am wondering about your categories -- you have "other individual blogs" and "other mixed topic blogs" in addition to "individual blogs" and "mixed topic blogs."

You wrote,
>>>>>I hope to do another post with the most helpful links to web sites (not blogs). <<<<<<

To me, a blog usually allows visitors' comments, though that is not part of the formal definition of "blog." So I view Evolution News & Views, Intelligent Design the Future, and Discovery Institute (a website that is separate from Evolution News & Views and Intelligent Design the Future) as just "websites" rather than "blogs."

In addition to anti-Darwinist sites, my blog's link list includes some Darwinist sites -- Panda's Thumb, Talk.origins, and Dispatches from the Culture Wars (a mixed topic blog) -- because these sites have important news items and ideas.

Panda's Thumb's link list includes about 27 "science and evolution blogs" and about 20 "pseudoscience websites."

The link list on my blog consists mostly of what I consider to be the most useful websites. Exceptions are two of John A. Davison's blogs on prescribed evolution -- they are not organized and I listed them only out of sympathy because his links had been removed from Uncommon Descent. I have seen blogs with link lists containing dozens of websites but I think that is a bad idea because the large number makes it hard for the reader to choose -- though I suppose that listing a large number might be OK if there is also a short list for the most important websites. Often I visit a website just for the purpose of linking to another website, and that cuts down on the number of websites that I need in the link list on my blog.

 
At September 14, 2006 5:40 AM, Blogger crevo said...

fafarman --

The distinguishing characteristic of a blog is that the primary ordering of materials is time-based. Thus Evolution News & Views and IDTheFuture really are blogs, though you are right that discovery.org counts as a website.

 
At September 14, 2006 8:04 PM, Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

crevo said...
>>>> The distinguishing characteristic of a blog is that the primary ordering of materials is time-based. Thus Evolution News & Views and IDTheFuture really are blogs, though you are right that discovery.org counts as a website. <<<<<<

Considering that "blog" is short for "weblog" which is a combination word from "web" and "log," I guess that your definition is as good as any.

The Discovery Institute website does list articles in reverse chronological order but divides them into three categories: events, fellows' articles, and news.

There are also websites that frequently add articles but do not list them in chronological order, so I think that these sort of overlap with "blogs." Then there are websites that don't change for months or years, and these are definitely not blogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home