Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Steel-Toed Boots and Brass Knuckles

One aspect of religious fundamentalism that I did not expect to see mirrored by the Darwinian fundamentalists is the tendency to act on one's dogmatism by advocating the use of force to accomplish one's ends. Yet in a remarkable post Prof. Paul Myers, who is one of the esteemed and trustworthy scientists who assure us that there is no scientific challenge to macroevolutionary theory, has this to say:
I say, screw the polite words and careful rhetoric. It's time for scientists to break out the steel-toed boots and brass knuckles, and get out there and hammer on the lunatics and idiots. If you don't care enough for the truth to fight for it, then get out of the way.

Now don't worry, because he continues with these comforting words:
[D]on't even suggest that we're being too partisan. I am on the side of reason and human rights, and my only failing is that I'm not partisan enough.

Whew! That's a relief. It's ok to resort to violence, as long as you feel that you are on the right side and your opponents are on the wrong side.

As for me, I am sticking with reason, evidence and civil discourse. At the same time, I think I'd better brush up on my Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

This came to my attention through Telic Thoughts, through Wittingshire, and Mike Gene's commentary can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home