Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My Favorite Posts

For those who would like to read more, but don't feel like wading through archives, I thought I would create a post with links to some of my favorite previous posts.

In The Spectrum of Worldviews: How We Approach the Evidence, I observe that the current challengers of macroevolutionary theory are more neutral in their approach to the evidence than many of the scientists supporting the theory, and I argue that more important than one's worldview is how much it constrains one's ability to evaluate the evidence impartially.

In Challenges to Macroevolutionary Theory, I provide links to some of the best sources on the web to refute the ridiculous assertion that there is no credible scientific challenge to macroevolution.

In Contemplating Cornelia's Creed, I point out some "magic words" that seem to pop up every time Cornelia Dean writes an article related to evolution in The New York Times.

In Darwinian Fundamentalist Manifesto: Richard Lewontin's Commitment to Materialism, I discuss Richard Lewontin's remarkable a priori commitment to materialism, and how that affects his ability to evaluate facts impartially. How much does it affect other scientists and journalists?

In If He Weighs the Same As a Duck, I ask the momentous question: what do the current evolution debates have in common with a Monty Python movie?

In Science or History?, I point out that macroevolutionary theory is an historical science, not an operational science, and I argue that it is actually more precise to say that macroevolutionary theory is fundamentally historical, but that the data is scientific in nature. I also discuss the ramifications.

In Unconstitutional Fossils, I ask (and discuss): "What justification is there for insisting that students be taught the evidence for evolutionary theory but banning any evidence against it, like the fossil record of the Cambrian Explosion, which all mainstream scientists acknowledge?"


2 Comments:

At February 14, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In Challenges to Macroevolutionary Theory, I provide links to some of the best sources on the web to refute the ridiculous assertion that there is no credible scientific challenge to macroevolution."

historical background to rise and fall of the Synthetic Euphoria; 1936 A. Franklin Shull
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=b1c67abe.0403271329.1e569adf%40posting.google.com

"In Darwinian Fundamentalist Manifesto: Richard Lewontin's Commitment to Materialism, I discuss Richard Lewontin's remarkable a priori commitment to materialism, and how that affects his ability to evaluate facts impartially."

Timeline of Materialism, Spontaneous Generation, and Blindwatchmaking Views
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=dford3-348jecF47mfcjU1%40individual.net

Reality vs. worldview philosophy of materialism/ atheism
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=dford3-3813ksF5ggkc3U1%40individual.net
On the Origin of Life
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=dford3-39oh33F63riraU1%40individual.net

 
At December 14, 2007 4:28 AM, Blogger Mark O'Neil said...

I'm curious because you said you are an Agnostic. What exactly are you Agnostic about? Are you Agnostic about Evolution, Microevolution, Macroevolution, ID, or just only about the existence of God or gods? I am a Theist, specifically a Christian. I certainly consider myself mostly ignorant about God, but I do consider that I do know that God exists, that He loves me, He designed me, that He desires to have a close relationship with me.
Or when you say you are Agnostic you are actually referring to being ignorant of Darwinian Evolution?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home