Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ridicule, Hatred and Contempt

From a great article on NPR.org on the rift among atheists:

[Christopher] Hitchens, a columnist for Vanity Fair and author of the book God Is Not Great, told a capacity crowd at the University of Toronto, "I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right." His words were greeted with hoots of approval.

Religion is "sinister, dangerous and ridiculous," Hitchens tells NPR, because it can prompt people to fly airplanes into buildings, and it promotes ignorance. Hitchens sees no reason to sugarcoat his position.

"If I said to a Protestant or Quaker or Muslim, 'Hey, at least I respect your belief,' I would be telling a lie," Hitchens says.


Stalin and many other world leaders agreed with Hitchens and acted on it. We all know the results of that.

Hichens is a truly a wonderful example of a combination atheist and Darwinian fundamentalist. When you don't have facts and logic, I guess you have to rely on ridicule and contempt. Richard Dawkins does quite frequently.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 22, 2009 3:52 PM, Blogger Foxfier said...

Tolerance!

 
At May 11, 2010 5:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Hitchens, religion is absolutely terrible. Besides psychologically torturing people, taking rights away from people, and impeding scientific medical research... it's just deserving of ridicule.

There's obviously no reason to believe in a god, but people like wish thinking. People don't want to die, and they don't care that *most* people (if you grant the bible is true) will burn in hell.

It's sickening, disgusting, and I don't want my children living in a world where this is common place.

 
At January 09, 2011 11:07 PM, Blogger IWS said...

Gallup says (Dec 2010) that only 16% of the US population believes in secular evolution without divine intervention... that 80-85% believe their was some type of divine involvment in creation... and 40% say that God did it all and there is no such thing as evolution. Why is it that when I'm part of the minority I'm extreme, but when I'm part of the majority I'm "deserving of ridicule"?

 
At January 22, 2013 6:26 PM, Anonymous Bob said...

That comment of "Chris" is just parroting Hitchens and has no value as it does not engage in the blogger's post. Why try to talk the reader to death in stead of commenting on what the blogger has written? *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home